The Waterberg Biosphere is a magical part of South Africa. This area is the answer to every nature lover’s dreams: wide open spaces with a rare wilderness quality, the romance of authentic bushveld, close encounters with some of Africa’s most charismatic and unusual wildlife, and a broad spectrum of biodiversity. Add to this some of the most pristine river systems in southern Africa, rich cultural and archaeological diversity, and a myriad of opportunities to explore on foot, horseback or open topped vehicle, and you have one of the most amazing eco-destinations in the world. To top it all, the Waterberg has a mild climate and is malaria-free.
Vaalwater, a rural town equipped with the necessary medical practitioners, pharmacies, supermarkets, curio shops and whatever else might be required, is located about 50km from Mackouwkuil. A bigger town, Modimolle, is situated about 105km from the resort. This vibrant town caters for any needs that visitors might have. Lephalale, home to the new Medupi Power Station, is 141km from Mackouwkuil.
DIRECTIONS & MAP
- Take the N1 from Johannesburg towards PRETORIA. Follow the N1 towards POLOKWANE (Pietersburg).
- Pass through the first toll gate at the PUMULANE PLAZA. Proceed on the N1 for 35km, passing through the second toll gate at the CAROUSEL PLAZA. After 65km, still on the N1 motorway, keep to the extreme left lane as you approach the toll gate plaza, known as the KRANSKOP PLAZA. It is approximately 5km after the Engen Onestop Fuel Station, the left lane indicates the exit to Marble Hall/Modimolle (Nylstroom).
- After approximately 10km you will reach the town of MODIMOLLE. Continue to drive straight through the town, passing over several stops and traffic lights.
- After approximately 65km, from the town of Modimolle, you will enter the town of VAALWATER (A).
- At the stop in Vaalwater turn right onto Sanddrif Road towards Melkrivier and continue for 45.5km, passing Mpatamacha Game Capture on your left and continue to the T-Junction (B).
- At the T-Junction (B) turn right onto the dirt road and continue for 10km towards the Main gate (C).
- Go through the gate on the left-hand side of the thatch. Travel slowly and turn left at the Stone gate (D) after 1.2km.
- Keep straight and follow the fence for another 4.3km towards the Main Lodge (E).
Upon arrival phone the number on the Main gate (C) to gain access.Download Directions Here
(A) Melkrivier Road Turn-off – S24° 17’ 54” E28° 06’ 36”
(B) T-Junction – S24° 00’ 32” E28° 24’ 07”
(C) Farm – Main Gate – S24° 05’ 37” E28° 24’ 02”
(D) Internal Stone Wall Enterance – S24° 05’ 14” E28° 24’ 46”
(E) TEN Campus – S24° 04’ 06” E28° 26’ 30”